Friday, January 25, 2013

Okay, long lost blog. I began this as an exploration for my Art Education classes to record responses to readings and post assignments. But a new page has turned! After completing my BFA Printmaking degree last semester, (pictures soon to follow), I have plunged into this semester with Student Teaching the visual arts. I'm both excited and nervous to begin teaching.

My first placement is at Kingston High School with Mrs Debbie Tampone. She's mostly the photo teacher but she also teaches studio art. My first week there was coincidentally Regents week, so all the kids were doing their state-mandated testing. But when they finished their tests, the Visual Arts seniors had critiques to propose their ideas for the Senior Seminar Show. It was awesome seeing what the Art Department at Kingston High School has nurtured in order to get those kids to where they are. I could see how taking the variety of classes that are offered at Kingston really gave the students a well-rounded view of the art world. I think my favorite idea was the student who is making a sculpture of a heart out of different materials and then taking photos of them in places he feels connected to. I recently discovered he has a medical condition so he's using the heart as a symbol of life and placing them in these places to represent his desire to explore and see the world. He's taking advanced photo, but he can work on this project throughout the entire semester, so I can't wait to watch the project as it develops.

A handful of the students really had insane painting abilities. Painting is one of those things I have my own technical troubles with and I fear having to teach it to students who are better than I am. haha. But I gave one of the girls who does these mythical portraits my friend Kat Patterson's website because it think she might really appreciate her Zodiac ladies. She was also into clothing design which really reminds me of Kat's desire to be a special effects make-up artist.

Anyway, I'm going to make a point to go to the show and see how their projects end up. It's gonna be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment